book meme, foodie style
1. Total number of (cook) books I’ve owned:
ever? or currently? right now i count 55 cookbooks between a. and me, plus countless printout, cutout, scribbled down, bookmarked recipes stuffed in books, piled on shelves, etc.
2. Last (cook) book I bought:
Just like iheartbacon, i've recently been into these 50s cookbooks that feature "salads" that call for gelatin. but the most recent purchase is Introduction to Indian Cooking, by Madhur Jaffrey. i have yet to cook anything out of it. but it looks nice.
3. Last (food) book I read:
Salt: A World History, by Mark Kurlansky, which was a fun book about how salt has played a pivotal role in every major historical event. while i don't doubt that salt is, in fact, responsible for Western and Eastern Civilization, i think there were maybe other contributing factors, too.
4. Five (cook) books that mean a lot to me:
- Celebrating the Midwestern Table Abby Mandel: This is a surprisingly good cookbook and Abby Mandel is from my hometown, so I feel a special connection to her, though we've never ever met. also, my cat adores the cabbage soup. and a cabbage soup good enough that a cat eats it is a good cabbage soup.
- New Vegetarian Epicure Anna Thomas: i'm a fan of Moosewood and all, but Vegetarian Epicure kicks it up a notch. it's a bit more creative but totally easy and doable, unlike Millenium, which is amazing but has only hugely elaborate recipes that require at least three hundred ingredients and two trips to the kitchen shop to buy obscure tools.
- New Food Lover's Companion, 3d ed. Sharon Tyler Herbst: i'm a librarian so i love reference books. i just bought the escoffier cookbook because it looks good on my shelf and whenever i flip through it, i have this book by my side.
- Schott's Food & Drink Miscellany Ben Schott: this sits in my bathroom so i am never without the opportunity to acquire knowledge. did you know that in Kiss' contract, they require six caramel rice cakes backstage. hmm.
- Cookies Cookbook: the Queen's Best Recipes Mary Engelbreit: yeah, she's the Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries illustrator but i swear this is good stuff. her illustrations are cheesy and lame, but the lemon coconut bars are awesome.
5. Which 5 people would you most like to see fill this out in their blog?
Tag. You're it!