18 March 2005

grilled donut

my friend laura, recently relocated to New Jersey, just ate a "grilled donut" at the Yankee Doodle Cafe in New Haven. doughnuts give me headaches (psychosomatic, you say?) plus they sort of taste like microwaved sugary lard to me, so i wouldn't get near this thing with a ten foot pole, but she certainly enjoyed it:

"It was all I could have hoped for and more. The method of preparation: the grill guy took a glazed donut out of a little package, cut it in two, laid it down on the griddle (where bacon had previously been frying), and plopped a plate down on top of it so that it would smush flat and absorb maximum grease. He flipped it halfway and put the plate down again, so that the soft interior of the donut had a little color on it and the glaze on the outside dissolved into what looked like strands of melted gum. Then, in one motion, he pulled the plate with the donuts off the griddle. He then took a giant spatula and smeared two giant gobs of butter onto each half. The plate was sticky when I moved it toward me. I ate it with a fork and knife.

The first bite was a little bit like french toast -- gooey on the inside and crisp on the outside. After that initial flavor memory, the true sweetness and butteriness emerged. I had originally tried to move as much of the butter as possible off the donut halves, but then quickly discovered, as it melted into a pool on the hot plate, that the only way to eat this creation was to cut a bite, dunk it thoroughly it in the melted butter, and let the whole crusty greasy deliciousness slowly dissolve into its component parts on my tongue. Rapturous. I do not think I can allow myself to consume more than one of them every 6 months, because The Grilled
Donut is a true special-occasion food."

5 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Wow. I don't think I could eat that, but it sounds good.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Deepfry said...

yes, i think i'd be satisfied with a bite. but the thought of more makes me a bit queasy.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ACK! NEW JERSEY! I am in Connecticut, as is the Yankee Doodle. Fortunately.

- Laura

3:52 PM  
Blogger Deepfry said...

oops. Connecticut. I always get Yale and Princeton confused. always.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Oddly enough, I think that this month's Food and Wine has a brief about donuts made in a panini press. Still doesn't hold a candle to the griddle donuts you described. Or the Luther Burger for that matter. Nice blog, by the way.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home